Il Mio Mondo

Il Mio Mondo
Doing what I love!

Monday, January 9, 2012

The Enchanted Granada


I LOVE to travel!! It’s an addicting habit that I just can’t kick. One of my favorite places in the world is Spain. The culture, language,traditions, and foremost, the people, have an undeniable grip on my heart. I can’t exactly pinpoint why, but that doesn’t matter. What matters is that eachtime I have traveled to Spain I have felt one of the greatest feelings of joy.


 
My first trip was in 2006 and I’ve gone back 4 times since then. Wait, maybe it’s 5 times? In any case, not as much as I would like. My all time favorite city is Barcelona, but last year the region of Andalucía reached into my soul and gave me a feeling of home!



 Located at the foot of the Sierra Navada, Granada, is one of the cities in the region of Andalucía in which I visited last year.  Home of the Alhambra, Granada’s history is extraordinarily rich! I’m intrigued with the diverse cultural backgrounds of the inhabitants of this region. A cultural melting pot, Granada‘s Muslim, Jewish,and Christian historical legacy makes it that much more intriguing.



The Alhambra, a Moorish citadel and palace, is undoubtedly the most famous site in Granada. A UNESCO World Heritage Site, it truly is a place of fable and romance. Built on a hill overlooking Granada, the complex dons fountains, courtyards, rose edged pathways and slender columns. You feel as though you have gone back in time as you walk through the intricately carved arches and experience the marble mosaics. It’s a must see, or as they say; Quien no ha visto Granada, no ha visto nada "Who hasn't seen Granada hasn't seen anything"





The enchanted Albaicín is a colorful district in Granada. The site of the ancient city of Elvira, which the Zarid Moors renamed Granada in the 11Th century. The Albaicín contains narrow stoned roads and steep hills lined with whitewashed cármenes (typical houses) decorated with vibrant flowers and ceramic plates. Some of these homes are over 600 years old.



The Sacromonte neighborhood is known for its caves, in which the gypsies continue celebrating every night their flamenco songs and dance celebrations. This is the place the gypsies who came with the Catholic Kings troops when they conquered the city settled. The artists establish the roots of flamenco and the traditional Zambra Gitana was born here, as well as native dances and songs like the mosca or the capucha.



Olé Granada!

Some of the most famous flamenco artists from Granada are Marina Heredia, Estrella Morente, Enrique Morente, the Habichuela family, Antonio Carmona, and Mario Maya, amongst others.
If you’re not familiar with flamenco, it’s a fiery, passionate art that expresses the joys, hardships and sorrows of the gitano people.


Olé!

No comments:

Post a Comment